This disease suddenly started after I ran an update on my Windows 7 machine, but I’m not really sure if it was an existing addon compatibility issue before I ran the update. Although I am sure that it’s caused partly due to a new security feature in IE 8. (And speaking of diseases, I have the flu ;)
Here’s the real kicker : Microsoft’s recommendation is to turn off a protective feature of the browser itself. IE 8 Now comes with a flag in the advanced security settings…
Once again, encouraging people to turn off protection mechanisms (UAC comes to mind) rather than gracefully handling a misbehaving addon. Nice job, MS!
Obviously, my recommendation is that you leave this setting alone and try turning off some addons insteads. See if you can do without all of them, that isn’t from Microsoft, first and selectively turn them on one by one until you isolate the dud plugin. I’m fairly sure the new Java VM has something to do with this so I’m trying that first.